The John Edwards Movement Continues!!
Hot Political Issues and Government Topics
March 29, 2024, 02:45:53 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: DONT BUY GAS ON FRIDAYS!!!

This messes with the oil companies bottom line.  This tactic worked before - it can work again.  DONT BUY GAS ANY Friday.  They calculate their profits fridays.  If enough of the US doesn't buy gas on this friday alone, it will send them a message.  PASS THE WORD!

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Let's all get along

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Let's all get along  (Read 3395 times)
Lataet
Lataet
Administrator

« on: February 17, 2008, 08:12:41 am »

We are undoubtedly a group of high energy activists...for many.  With those high energy traits come some very strong personal opinions and feelings - especially in politics.  At times those opinions will differ..it's inevitable.  Disagreements will pop up.  But let's remember, that we are all here for the common good.  And we are all entitled to our opinion.  Whether someone else agrees, or not.

Everyone should feel free to post their comments, but do so in a manner in which you think John Edwards himself would speak.  He's professional, above board, but direct and honest.

I know it's tempting to respond immediately with how we feel..I'm guilty as well.  But step back, take a few deep breaths, even walk away if necessary and think about it first.

If there is an argument brewing - please take it offline.  If I need to create a chat room area, that may be the answer..or email one another.  If the argument persists on this site, that section of posts will probably need to be removed from the site.

Suggestions?  This is everyone's blog - a democracy if that's possible in this country - so tell me what your suggestions are.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2008, 09:24:14 am by Lataet » Report Spam   Logged

"Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there!"  Will Rogers

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Acebass

Edwards Democrat!

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2008, 09:52:13 am »

Many times I will respond to someone but before I do I sit back and read what I've typed before I hit enter, and more than once I wiped out what I'd said because of the way I'd said it.
One suggestion I'd make is if it's an angry retort, push your chair back and take a deep breath, think about what you've said and how you would respond to what you just typed. Once you hit the enter button it's out there. Remember discretion is the better part of valor and it is best to walk away and let cooler heads prevail.
Report Spam   Logged

"I represent the grown up wing of the Democratic Party" John Edwards
Lataet
Lataet
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2008, 09:59:47 am »

Well Said!

From the grown up group. 
Report Spam   Logged

"Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there!"  Will Rogers
RedDahlia

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2008, 10:02:47 am »

We need to live up to the Edwards Tradition.  One of the reasons that I am so sad that he will not be out President is I feel that he would have an incredible talent for diplomacy.  He can be civil without standing down from his ideals.  I would have loved to watch him interacting with foriegn diplomats.  I still hope I get to see that one day.  We need to stand strong in a style of communication with each other that is Edwardian.  The increadible stlye he has is his, but we can make it a movement by acting in the Edwardian style.
Dalia
Report Spam   Logged
4edwords08
COREGROUP

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2008, 10:06:07 am »

:)hmmm
I've not found anything to disagree with anyone about yet.  I must not be hitting the right topics.
Grin

Lataet is absolutely right!  and you better not disagree with me about that , nah but seriously the more people that find out about this new place to post, the more they need to see that the culture of this JREblog/action arena is to be informative, action oriented and focused on 1 goal.  I think that we might all agree on these things, yes? and if not lets take it outside in the sunshine. Cool
Report Spam   Logged

“The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it to be always kept alive. It will often be exercised when wrong, but better so than not to be exercised at all. I like a little rebellion now and then.” Thomas Jefferson
Jazziette
TempBan

Gloves are off now!

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2008, 10:50:49 am »

Back in the 1930's there was a gentleman by the name of Charles Schwarz, CEO of US Steel.

One day during a board meeting he presented a new proposal and asked for a vote.

All were in agreement.

When the votes were counted, Mr. Schwarz addressed the board in this manner. 

"Gentlemen, we are going to have to table this proposal because obviously none of you really understand it."

The moral of this story is:

Sometimes there is 'value' in dissent, which is what Mr. Schwarz had been seeking.

While I am very much in favor of a pleasant atmosphere where I can read the opinion of others and also gather new information that is posted, I believe it is important to encourage individuality and honest opinions rather than stifle the imagination and lose a concept that may have been overlooked by all the other posters.

The British call the opposition "The Loyal Minority".  At times in order to clearly understand an issue it is essential to have dissention, so that one may be aware of all points of view.

Isn't this discourse essential to the success of a Democracy?  Our current political system has abandoned the checks and balances that made this nation great.

Isn't it time we returned to a 'True Democracy', even if it begins right here in this forum?

God Bless America and let Freedom Ring!!!!

Respectfully submitted and again....thank you for providing us with such a great forum!

~ Jazziette
Report Spam   Logged

"And in the end.....the love we take is equal to.....the love we make."
                           ~ Lennon & McCartney
Lataet
Lataet
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2008, 11:06:26 am »

I agree - this is an open forum and we're all able to express ourselves and our opinions - but there is no call in attacking someone else due to a differing opinion or at all for that matter.  Chastising/attacking other bloggers is not acceptable.

The line needs to be drawn there.  If there needs to be an argument where a couple of people wish to attack each other - that should be taken off line. 

Debates without verbally attacking another are fine.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2008, 11:40:23 am by Lataet » Report Spam   Logged

4edwords08
COREGROUP

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2008, 11:34:35 am »

Dissent:   dissent is just a different opinion..of course we are entitled to our own opinion. Opinions are subjective but as has been said many times before now, we are not entitled to our own facts as, Mark Twain, said "facts are stubborn things."  Dissension does not mean that we are divided as a group, because that would mean that we are not able to focus on our common goals

I suggest remembering why we are writing here as a group?  A group formed from the former JRE blog, a group that had a common goal, a group that racked some of their collective brains to make a new place for our group to gather and to further the cause of getting John Edwards to remain on ballots and to advertise that JE is still a candidate, to continue trying to accrue delegates so that we all have a platform to rally behind is the reason that we are here now. A platform that includes, healthcare, education, the middleclass,the forgotten class: the military is one of the most poverty stricken groups now more than ever in our nations history, and the rest of John Edwards 80 page policy book. That is what I remember and will not forget when I come here.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2008, 05:30:06 pm by 4edwords08 » Report Spam   Logged

“The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it to be always kept alive. It will often be exercised when wrong, but better so than not to be exercised at all. I like a little rebellion now and then.” Thomas Jefferson
LeeM
COREGROUP

Support Our Troops & Bring Them Home!

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2008, 11:41:42 am »

Yes, Discretion is the better part of valor!

We come together here to serve the causes of value.  We want to propagate democracy.  Dissent is allowed and we aren't trying to stifle people's views.  We are only requesting that people use their best judgment when responding to something they don't agree with; in kind, that the person replying to the dissenting opinion refrain from automatically becoming accusatory without evidence that the other person is pushing another candidate or denigrating the original poster personally or our causes.

Personally, I believe there is a need for many different approaches to getting our voices heard and the issues addressed.  We need many plans of attack (toward injustices & reformation, not the other posters!) to get the results we need.  Therefore, if someone suggests something I'm not in total agreement with I will often just refrain from commenting if it can still serve the greater cause in some fashion.

Also, remember sometimes dissent is not so much just that as is it an attempt to suggest another approach or possibility.  In those instances, we can just suggest the person might like to post their own thread based upon that opinion and work with others in agreement with it.  In that way, everyone is free to express themselves without causing friction between ourselves.

Thanks for your consideration.  Smiley

Let’s remain in solidarity!!
Report Spam   Logged

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ~ Albert Einstein
Jazziette
TempBan

Gloves are off now!

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2008, 11:50:13 am »

I agree - this is an open forum and we're all able to express ourselves and our opinions - but there is no call in attacking someone else due to a differing opinion or at all for that matter.  Chastising/attacking other bloggers is not acceptable.

The line needs to be drawn there.  If there needs to be an argument where a couple of people wish to attack each other - that should be taken off line. 

Debates without verbally attacking another are fine.

I agree .... I must have missed the verbal attacking of another, wherever it occurred.  Some people are naturally more tactful than others but to be anything less than civil is unnecessary. 
Report Spam   Logged

~ Lennon & McCartney
RedDahlia

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2008, 11:53:18 am »

Hi Jazz.
It's good to see you here!
D
Report Spam   Logged
Jazziette
TempBan

Gloves are off now!

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2008, 12:05:37 pm »

Hi Dahlia Dahling! LOL  Thanks so much! I'm happy to be here and enjoying this site very much.  I enjoy reading your posts here also!

Hugs,

~ Jazz
Report Spam   Logged

~ Lennon & McCartney
RedDahlia

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2008, 12:17:10 pm »

thx!  I tried to get your radio show a couple times but it wouldn't work.  It said it was waiting for stream but the time was right I double checked it.
D
Report Spam   Logged
Jazziette
TempBan

Gloves are off now!

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2008, 12:50:03 pm »

thx!  I tried to get your radio show a couple times but it wouldn't work.  It said it was waiting for stream but the time was right I double checked it.
D

Oh gosh! I'm sorry about that.  We have an arena football game here in Phoenix that ran overtime into my show twice.  Valentine's night was one of them.  And during the football it doesn't stream for some reason.  My show came on at 9:30 till 11:00 and started streaming a few minutes before.  Try again next Thursday if you want to.  Can I dedicate a song for you?  I dedicate "Imagine" to John Edwards and all the beautiful JRE supporters each week!

Thanks again!

~ Jazz
Report Spam   Logged

~ Lennon & McCartney
RedDahlia

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2008, 12:54:20 pm »

ok so that's 11:30 Chicago time Thurs. night through your website. right?
D
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Help us keep this blog going and growing.
If you can, even a small donation will help.
Just click the donation button
Thank you
Official PayPal Seal
Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum