The John Edwards Movement Continues!!
Hot Political Issues and Government Topics
March 28, 2024, 07:25:22 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: DONT BUY GAS ON FRIDAYS!!!

This messes with the oil companies bottom line.  This tactic worked before - it can work again.  DONT BUY GAS ANY Friday.  They calculate their profits fridays.  If enough of the US doesn't buy gas on this friday alone, it will send them a message.  PASS THE WORD!

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Homeless veterans program could be cut

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Homeless veterans program could be cut  (Read 475 times)
bucklaw

« on: June 16, 2008, 08:07:00 pm »

06/16/2008, 11:58 am
Comment on this story | Print this story
Scott Reeder, sng@springnet1.com, 217-525-8201
State Sen. Debbie Halvorson is concerned a new program to help homeless veterans could fall victim to the state budget crisis.
"I'm very worried about the governor cutting that money right out of the budget," the Democrat from Crete said. "Every day, George W. Bush is creating more and more war veterans. We have an obligation to help these returning veterans."

The program at Manteno Veterans Home is quite small, but Halvorson contends the program is significant.

Halvorson said she used her clout as Senate majority leader to boost possible funding for the program by $800,000 in the budget year that begins Tuesday, July 1. That would put total funding for the program at $1.7 million.

But the $29 billion spending plan the Legislature approved calls for spending at least $2 billion more than the state is expected to receive in revenues.

And there's the rub. The state will either have to come up with more revenue or cut spending to balance the budget.

The Legislature may be called back in session to discuss the budget or Blagojevich could choose to act unilaterally by using his veto powers to reduce spending.

Either way, newer programs such as the outreach to homeless veterans may be vulnerable.

"We are going to have to make some incredibly difficult decisions in the coming weeks. Any program that is not one of the governor's key priorities is vulnerable," said Kelley Quinn, a spokeswoman for the Governor's Office of Management and Budget.

She added those priorities are health care and education.

Quinn declined to comment on whether the homeless veterans program is vulnerable.

The residential facility is called the Prince Home and opened in January.

It has a capacity of 15. So far, the program has served seven veterans, said Deanna Mackey, program director for homeless and displaced veterans.

Of those veterans, some served in Iraq, others in Vietnam and still others during peacetime, she said.

"I wouldn't say there is a connection between being homeless and being a veteran," Mackey said. "I would say that some of the things a soldier, Marine or serviceman experiences makes it more difficult to work back into society and can help produce a homeless person.

"They see many things that a normal American doesn't see. There can be trauma to their minds or to their psyche," she said. "They may be experiencing nightmares or flashbacks about things they have done that have disturbed their psyche and find it hard to regroup."

The program targets underlying issues that made individuals homeless.

"A residential facility gives them a sense of peace," Mackey said. "They know they have some place to lay their heads. They don't have to worry about where their next meal is coming from. Homelessness is a symptom of other problems. We try to address those problems -- things like mental health or substance abuse."

Can we get this out to liberal radio press?

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

destiny

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 05:26:14 am »

Tammy Duckworth is in charge of veterans affairs here.  Contacting her would be good too. 
Report Spam   Logged
bucklaw

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 07:14:43 am »

The only kinds of fights worth fighting are those you are going to lose, because somebody has to fight them and lose and lose and lose until someday, somebody who believes as you do wins. In order for somebody to win an important, major fight 100 years hence, a lot of other people have got to be willing -- for the sheer fun and joy of it -- to go right ahead and fight, knowing you're going to lose. You mustn't feel like a martyr. You've got to enjoy it.
Report Spam   Logged
destiny

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2008, 09:20:38 am »

For information on how to help homeless veterans go to the National Coalition for Homeless Veterans website.

NCHV.org
Report Spam   Logged
24hrlib

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2008, 12:00:33 pm »

The only kinds of fights worth fighting are those you are going to lose, because somebody has to fight them and lose and lose and lose until someday, somebody who believes as you do wins. In order for somebody to win an important, major fight 100 years hence, a lot of other people have got to be willing -- for the sheer fun and joy of it -- to go right ahead and fight, knowing you're going to lose. You mustn't feel like a martyr. You've got to enjoy it.

Excellent point.  This is kind of where my head is regarding Nader.  Not that I expect him to ever become president.  It is a vote for my conscience for a change.  And I am enjoying the fight.  I have great hope this will be an important year for third parties.

But more on point of this thread.  My alarming experience with reality yesterday was when my kid's Dad (a vietnam vet involved locally with Iraq soldiers coming home) brings over a young man who has been home from Iraq about a year now.  A very decent, likeable guy.  Last evening by phone I learned he's been homeless for six months now.  With winter coming in Iowa I'm sad for him today.  I hope he knows a bit about plumbing and home restoration.   I've decided to give him first shot at helping me redo both my upstairs and downstairs bathrooms.  I plan to spend some time this week looking for programs in my area that encourage hiring homeless vets.  With the unemployment rate on the rise.  These patriots need all the help they can get.

Everyone, hire a homeless vet for those odd jobs, please! 
Report Spam   Logged

Republican rhetoric does not match the reality of what they have done. --John Edwards
destiny

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2008, 12:05:38 pm »

That's the ticket! These types of things need to be our focus!  We need to be there for each other!  Good for you!

Bucklaw has some really good suggestions for helping the vets.  I like the idea of opening up the closed bases for the homeless vets many of whom have the skills to make the bases habitable and nice, and the government should pay the utilities! Its the very very least they can do!
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Help us keep this blog going and growing.
If you can, even a small donation will help.
Just click the donation button
Thank you
Official PayPal Seal
Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum