The John Edwards Movement Continues!!
Hot Political Issues and Government Topics
March 29, 2024, 01:59:22 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Contact your representative and tell them we need to opt out of buying foreign oil.   To send a message to them.  We need to use the petroleum reserve like Clinton did and the prices will drop.  We're the biggest market in the world - if we stop buying that will send a message.  So, help make that happen - unless you all love paying others to get rich beyond reason..including Iraq who is making a 70 billion profit from us and our men and women are hurt and dying.  So stand up folks and take action on this one.

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

You Gotta Love Racist White New York Liberals

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: You Gotta Love Racist White New York Liberals  (Read 533 times)
Javier
COREGROUP

« on: July 21, 2008, 07:30:18 am »

NOTE: Tim Wise is White just in case you think this is just another black person calling white people racist.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
The Ladner Report   
You Gotta Love Racist White New York Liberals

Posted: 19 Jul 2008 02:45 PM CDT

July 17, 2008
redroom.com
By Tim Wise

...Yeah, I said it, and I meant it too. The New Yorker staffers and editors who thought it was acceptable to run the cover of Barack-and-Michelle-Obama-as-Muslim-and/or-black-nationalist-militants are racists. And assholes.

Their liberalism does not acquit them. The fact that most of them will probably vote for Obama in November doesn't acquit them. The fact that they think themselves hip and urbane, and oh-so-pithy and oh-so-ironic, and oh-so satirical doesn't make a bit of difference. What they have done, irrespective of their intent, is to further the right-wing white racial frame that has been placed on the Obama candidacy from the outset. By trafficking in stereotypes, presumably to poke fun at them, the New Yorker has reinforced imagery that is guaranteed to push certain buttons with many voters, and not "irony buttons" (I mean most Americans can't even define the term, which is why folks thought that Alanis Morrissette song was so good, even though every example of irony she mentioned wasn't an example of irony at all), but bigotry ones. Intent does not matter with this kind of thing: impact is what counts, and the impact will be to reinforce white fears about the Obamas. White folks don't tend to appreciate irony when the joke is on us, you see.

But for those who choose to defend the New Yorker on this cartoon, (and who think it's legit satire, because it "obviously" pokes fun at the whole right-wing "Obama is a muslim" conspiracy B.S….), here's why no such defense is possible....

Let's think about some other examples of satire, which, theoretically, the New Yorker could have turned into covers, where they could have poked fun at stupid conspiracy thinking and obviously absurd bigotry...

Can anyone on here imagine the New Yorker, or any other mainstream outlet doing a "satire" where they poke fun at the asinine conspiracy theories about Jews and 9/11 (like "4000 Jews stayed home from work that day because they got tipped off by the Mossad")?  Can you ima gine them satirizing the loons who say that **** by doing a cover with a bunch of rabbis, calling each other on the phone reminding other "members of the tribe" (as we occasionally call ourselves, for those who don't know) to stay home? Or perhaps a rabbi pushing down on a TNT charge, and bringing the WTC down? Of course not. They would never do this, and with good reason.

Likewise, whack jobs have been spinning conspiracy yarns for centuries about Jews baking matzo using the blood of gentiles, etc., but never would any media outlet think it was ok to make fun of such stupidity by showing Jewish men in kippahs snacking on flatbread made from the plasma of someone named Mikey O'Malley (for lack of a more authentic gentile name).

They would never 'satirize' Holocaust denial, for example, by showing a cover with Jewish prisoners at Auschwitz, playing cards, or shuffleboard, as a way to show the absurdity and venality of those who claim there was no mass murder of Jews and that Auschwitz was "actually a pretty nice place, with an orchestra, for entertainment," (a claim David Duke made several years ago, for example).

Even if it were an election season, and a Jewish candidate were in the race (as was the case for Lieberman as VP in 2000), there is simply no way that the New Yorker would have done a cover with Lieberman playing the role of a puppeteer, and say, pulling the strings of an Al Gore marionette, with, let's say, an Israeli flag flapping in the background, as a way to satirize the buffoons who said things about how Joe L. was just a Zionist Manchurian candidate, brainwashed in shul to "destroy all goyim," as one Nazi froot loop swore to me was true eight years ago.

Bottom line: hip white liberals don't take chances at offending Jewish folks the way we will black folks or Muslims. And the reasons are simple:

1. Jews are a dangerous target to offend because we have more economic clout than folks of color and can punish anti-Semitic acts in ways that folks of color often can't when the acts are racist, and,

2. Jewish suffering and pain is taken more seriously than the pain and suffering of other groups, and garners more sympathy, in large measure because it is the suffering of a people who are now thought of as white (wasn't always the case but it is now by most folks). This is why no one ever worries that Holocaust Studies programs that focus on the Shoah (and it alone) will encourage Jews to develop a "victim mentality," or cause us to "shirk personal responsibility for our community," while Af-Am studies or Ethnic Studies programs that discuss the oppression of folks of color, and their struggles to overcome that oppression and define themselves in history, are met with constant cries of "PC" and concern that indeed, folks of color are being encouraged to think of themselves as permanent victims in such classes. Jewish pain counts, it seems, while black and brown pain does not. Jewish pain can be blamed on others (nasty Germans, for example), while black and brown pain is very much our shame in the U.S….so we can't face it, or care the same way, or worry about offending folks of color, while we would never think of risking such offense with Jewish folks, for the most part.

Those of us who are Jewish should speak up and demand that the same standard of care be taken with other groups as is taken with us. What would be unacceptable when done to us, must be unacceptable when done to others.

And those of us who are Southern should probably use examples like this to point out that Northern racism, while perhaps more veiled and "hip" than that which comes from our part of the country, isn't any more acceptable for it.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

24hrlib

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 12:30:37 am »

At Salon.com in the "War Room" section...

Obama campaign taking revenge?
Barack Obama's overseas trip is shaping up as one of the most significant events of the campaign season, but one important media outlet was left sucking jet fumes when his plane took off -- the New Yorker.

Officially, the Obama campaign said there wasn't room on the tour for the magazine's Washington correspondent, Ryan Lizza, but some media watchers are interpreting the move as a snub because of the magazine's recent controversial cover, which depicted Obama as a Muslim, and his wife, Michelle, as a militant. After all, there were 40 press spots for the trip.

"So it's gonna be like that, is it? Retribution for unfavourable coverage is a chilling thing to contemplate," wrote Huffington Post media blogger Rachel Sklar. At media gossip blog Gawker, Ryan Tate agreed, writing, "Of course the Obama campaign will say the decision was made strictly for space reasons -- it already has -- but given the publicity surrounding the New Yorker cover and around Lizza's story on Obama's early poltical career, his people had to know what signal it would send to exclude the magazine so soon after the cover flap: That the candidate of change is not above trying to manipulate the press like any other politician."

http://www.salon.com/politics/war_room/2008/07/21/lizza/index.html?
Report Spam   Logged

Republican rhetoric does not match the reality of what they have done. --John Edwards
B4JRE

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 11:28:16 am »

I tried to post this reply yesterday but this particular thread went kerfluey on me.  I started to think conspiracy theories...  Anyway, here's my thing:

I don't agree with him that the folks are racist just because they ran that cover.  My take on it is that the editors erred in that they left off the title of the cartoon:  "The Politics of Fear".  Part of the problem is that the artist was so spot on with the Right's absurd critiques of the Obama's that for those right wing wackos who do believe that crap...well, the cartoon probably speaks to them in a haunting way.  When I saw it I laughed because I thought the artist parodied well the Right Wing smear machine.

One of the biggest problems with Tim Wise's argument is that he spends most of his time comparing two people (Michelle and Barack) to a whole race (Jews)...far too big a difference in targets to compare.  He did a reasonable job when he tried to compare them to Lieberman.  But, that only goes so far because while Lieberman scared some anti-Semites, Obama seems to scare in a different and bigger way (and this does NOT include my being "scared" of him for his lying, corporatist, false-prophet ways).

This point of his, "Jews are a dangerous target to offend because we have more economic clout than folks of color and can punish anti-Semitic acts in ways that folks of color often can't when the acts are racist" is valid.  As is this one, " Northern racism, while perhaps more veiled and "hip" than that which comes from our part of the country, isn't any more acceptable for it. "

Having that cover on the New Yorker does not make that magazine racist.  But it sure gives someone like Wise an opportunity to make himself seem oh-so-not-racist and oh so sharp and Truly P.C.  The WGKAD (White-Guilted Kool Aid Drinkers) are having a blast taking this opportunity to declare their love for blacks by denouncing the New Yorker.

If I were the editor of the magazine, I may have chosen to not use that for the cover.  I would have told the artist is was great and included it on the interior, with some related commentary on the same page. But, as for the cover, I would have feared how perhaps some of the too many stupid Americans  (think of all those who voted for Bush in 2004) simply would not "get it"...as apparently many people don't.

I think maybe some people don't get political cartoons, or parody.
Report Spam   Logged
MiamiForEdwards

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 05:57:46 pm »

"Barack Obama should in no way be upset about the cartoon that depicts him as a Muslim extremist, because you know who gets upset about cartoons? Muslim extremists."
http://www.thedailyshow.com/video/index.jhtml?videoId=176628&title=obama-cartoon

Great commentary esp. of the MSM's self righteous indignation of the NYer cover compared to earlier clips of the MSM pushing the same stereotypes the cover satirizes.

Report Spam   Logged
24hrlib

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 08:04:59 pm »

I pretty much watch (save for an occasional CNN moment) Moyers and Stewart exclusively now a days.  They keep me well informed
and my stress level is under control too.
Report Spam   Logged

Republican rhetoric does not match the reality of what they have done. --John Edwards
B4JRE

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 11:05:35 pm »

"Barack Obama should in no way be upset about the cartoon that depicts him as a Muslim extremist, because you know who gets upset about cartoons? Muslim extremists."
http://www.thedailyshow.com/video/index.jhtml?videoId=176628&title=obama-cartoon

Great commentary esp. of the MSM's self righteous indignation of the NYer cover compared to earlier clips of the MSM pushing the same stereotypes the cover satirizes.

great quote
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Help us keep this blog going and growing.
If you can, even a small donation will help.
Just click the donation button
Thank you
Official PayPal Seal
Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum