The John Edwards Movement Continues!!
Hot Political Issues and Government Topics
March 28, 2024, 08:27:14 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome Guests.
Enjoy your visit. You'll have more topics to read and options available if you register.

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Welcome Back, Javier!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Welcome Back, Javier!  (Read 739 times)
SC Gal

« on: August 22, 2008, 05:35:48 pm »

Javier,

I was looking at the new posts to the Edwards family, and noticed your name.  I was so glad to "see" you, I was afraid I'd never get the chance again after I got your e-mail that you were leaving.  I am the daughter of a millworker and an elevator mechanic.  I know it doesn't always seem like it, but we really do live in a small world!  For some reason, I thought you were from NY.  I was happy to learn that we are "neighbors"!  I live in Anderson, SC.  I know many others will be joining me in welcoming you back to our little online family!

Judy
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Javier
COREGROUP

« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 07:30:58 pm »

Dear Judy, I am in a healing process, I been hurt deeply, and still am overwhelmed by the show of power by corporate America against our champion. My father died last year. John's message and Elizabeth's relentless stand on the face of illness became my inspiration. I said it once and will again, John's message was like a true calling to me, he touched my soul and affected me profoundly, very few times we get to say that someone other than the closest people to you, like your partner and children change our lives, this is one of those occasion, John and Elizabeth changed my life for ever, and as a consequence I became part of this group of wonderful people, the Edwards democrats. I am blessed by the opportunity to get to know such a wonderful bunch, we bonded and grew along the way. I will always by grateful for this and could never go back to be indifferent to anyone pain. "There but for the grace of God go I" is one of my favorite old English language phrases.  I needed to sign that letter, I need them to know that out here we still believe in them. I hope some day Justice will be done, some day Edwards hard work to give us voice will be honored.

I am back in the classroom after a long time, I am still dealing with Praxis tests scores, hoping I pass it, if not I will be unemployed again, any how, I am teaching Spanish in Middle school and helping with ESL. Next week  I will greet my students, after an absence from the classroom of about 10 years it feels good to be back. I remember you are a teacher, right? So really this is a small world.

Thank you for your kindness, I hope I can get better and my dear core group can forgive my weakness, after all I feel I let them down. They show strength and loyalty and for that I thank them too.
Report Spam   Logged
SC Gal

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008, 08:15:24 pm »

You are right, I was a middle school teacher.  I am glad you are back in  the classroom and I hope that things work out so you can stay there!  With the economy as slow as it is right now, I feel unemployed a lot of the time!  When people are doing good just to keep their homes, the market for custom sewn window treatments and other home accents takes a dive!  This is the slowest work year I have had since I started my business about 14 years ago!

Unless I have this group totally wrong...and I don't think I do...we are all pretty free to speak our minds here.  I don't think you showed "weakness"...you simply expressed what you were feeling at the moment.  I don't think anyone here was happy to hear John's recent announcement!   I know I wasn't.  Nobody wanted that to be true!  That has been the great thing for me on the blog...I feel free to say how I feel here.  Sometimes I don't say anything for weeks at a time, but I always know I am welcome here. 

I have gotten upset and voiced it here, and everyone has always understood.  Sometimes, they simply said nothing in response, which was fine!  If you lost your dad just last year, you still have some very raw feelings to deal with!  Trust me!  That pain affected a lot of thing I said and did during that first tough year.  Once I got through the "firsts"...holidays, birthdays, things like that...I started to heal.  My parents have been gone for about 5 years now...and it is still tough for me!  It gets easier with time, but things have just never seemed quite right without them here anymore.  I have come to the point that I know I have to accept the loss and move on,  but it took a lot of support from family and friends to get to that point!  I also had to get a little professional grief counseling, too!  (Of course, the counselor I was referred to was not a member of our insurance network, so that came out of my pocket!)

As I said earlier, I am glad to see you here once again!   I'm gonna watch CNN now, they claim they will announce Obama's VP at any moment.  If you have time, check out my post under Medical issues about Alzheimer's.  I put it there in memory of my dad just this evening!

Judy
Report Spam   Logged
24hrlib

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 09:20:40 pm »

Lovely to see you, Javier!  We're here for you.   Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Republican rhetoric does not match the reality of what they have done. --John Edwards
Lataet
Lataet
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2008, 10:42:53 pm »

Hi JAvier!   SO SO SO glad to see you're return.  We hoped and trusted that you would when you felt up to it.  No need to apologize.  Everyone from the core group has had moments of needing to get away from it as we are all passionate about these issues and each time some great thing happens affects us deeply - depending on the issue sometimes more than others.  So we all understand!

I'm VERY glad you're signing the letter - I havent checked the letters this evening yet.

Bless you Javier, and your family and your class!
Report Spam   Logged

"Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there!"  Will Rogers
Javier
COREGROUP

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2008, 07:10:18 pm »

Dare to live, dare to give:

« Last Edit: September 06, 2008, 11:15:29 pm by Javier » Report Spam   Logged
kenshin
COREGROUP

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2008, 08:23:40 pm »

cool to have you back, and don't worry, there's quite a few people taking a hiatus from politics since after edwards dropped out.  i'm just kind of glad so many edwards supporters decided to stay and continue to focus on the issues.  (someone has to--the washington post read like a gossip column today, on love children and arugula vs. iceberg...)

when i went to the take back america conference, after edwards dropped out, with all the progressives there, it seemed like there was a feeling in the air, people were very concerned--like the progressive movement would die.  the last words of the conference were from someone saying, in his speech, it doesn't matter if hillary or obama is elected, it won't matter who's in the white house, we're still here and going strong, everything will be alright.
Report Spam   Logged
24hrlib

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2008, 12:34:48 am »

I think one of the things that works so well about this site is the common respect we have for one another.  How we face adversity is a good example.  Some may take a hiatus, some not.  Each letting the troubles forge them further toward the common goal we share.  We all heal differently.  And it's in the healing we bond, grow and move forward.  Progress is never easy.   
Report Spam   Logged

Republican rhetoric does not match the reality of what they have done. --John Edwards
sandiegtampabay
COREGROUP

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2008, 08:54:31 am »

Javier, I am so happy to see you are back!  Everyone here has their own reasons as to why John's message drew us
into his fold.  To be honest, in 2004, I was working so much, I didn't really get to know John Edwards.  My husband
had died in 2003 and at a loss as to what to do with myself, had thrown myself into helping to start a non-profit
school for disabled kids.  After it was well established, I moved on to opening a flower shop, a life long dream.  It
was wonderful and we were a success right away.  It was successful enough for me to start a subsidiary and as a
plant broker, was able to hire my children to work for me.  It was wonderful to go to the shop each morning and
wait for each of them to arrive, ready to work and how I loved the weekly 3 van caravan we formed each week for
buying trips to Apopka, Florida (the plant capitol of the world) on buying trips and then filling every nook and cranny
of the shop with plants and small trees for delivery to the 256 flower shops in the Tampa Bay area.  I was so happy,
with my only regret being that my husband did not live to see it.  I was working 20 hours a day, 7 days a week with
orders coming in from as far as Australia and London, weekly fruit baskets to deliver to NFL and other athletes in
the area ....we were a success!  Then, in September 2006, business came to a screeching halt and I knew we were
in trouble.  Other florists kept telling me "we will pull out of this slump at Thanksgiving", but I sensed that something
terrible was happening to the economy.   By December, with a monthly overhead of $6,000.00, I made the decision
to close.  By January '07, 10 flower shops closed (one had been open for 30 years).  Flower shops, dear friends, still
continue to close, to this day.  Initially, the main concern was to make sure everyone got employed as fast as
possible and then I sat at home, brooding about the money I'd lost and wondering what I would do with myself next.
I had never had time to watch TV in the day time, and started watching the Senate and the House at work and the
issues started to scream out at me.  Then, I discovered John and Elizabeth!  Though retired, I knew I now had a
purpose....to fight to make America better for my children and grandchildren.  With my children now working elsewhere,
I was still lonely at times and then started meeting like minded people on the JRE blog and then with the
development of this blog, I made some wonderful long distance friendships and have not had a minute to be lonely,
since.  I lost my mother this year, after years of being ill with Alzheimer's.  But, with this loss, I did not give in to the
impulse that I had to do something right away to keep busy.  I just kept blogging!  Then the disappointment of John's
career shattering situation, hit me like a ton of bricks.  It has taken me 65 years to learn not to make life changing
decisions when you are grieving......just take time to heal, and we all need time to do that from time to time.  I hadn't
meant to say all this when I first set out to welcome you back Javier, but the duet you posted...got to me.  In life
there will always be moments in which we must "Dare to live!" to survive.  We all get knocked down from time to time
and there are times we feel the weight of the world on our backs, but we take time to heal and then we come back!
Javier, I am so happy you are teaching again!  But more than that....I am so happy you are back!   
Report Spam   Logged
looneysinger

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2008, 09:45:33 am »

sandie, your words are beautifully said! i enjoyed reading your post! where do we go from here sandie when a party has thrown us loyal people to the curb for a messiah his  followers call him! he was selected not elected by the people! this really boggles my mind and understanding cause i have thought that the dem. party cared for their country and did not act like other parties as they have acted in this election? i cannot sandie vote for obama with a good and clear being of a person that i am. i see thru him at all corners as a arrogant person who sees that he is the only one to be potus! it is scary and he is a scary person when i have seen where a lot of his money is coming from the terriosts! we as a nation are better than this cause we had john and liz as a fresh and new camelot! they sandie are and always will be the jack and jackie we have been waiting for! not what the democrat party threw at us and said get over it and vote for the messiah and fall in line and quit complaining! not me cause my vote and voice will not be silenced in november! obama will not get my vote for i am changing my party affiliation! it is sad that the dems have thrown to the curb the best candidate for the job! clinton and the garbage will continue  and edwards would have been a good team to stand up for the people who washington which is the good ole boys that obama belongs to now cause he was bought and sold for it! and the garbage will continue cause they are telling the messiah to do their dance or else you are not one of us! this is a sad day in the history of america! to john and liz and their family i say hang your head high and the lord will help you now and forever! looneysinger Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
sandiegtampabay
COREGROUP

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2008, 11:14:38 am »

Looneysinger, thank you so much for your kind words.  I know how you feel, we are all so desperate and now here
we are faced with another sham of an election, with it being the third presidential election in which the voice of the
people, the popular vote, has once again been ignored.  Just yesterday, I wrote Democratic Party leaders telling them
they take voters for granted.  I may post that as a new topic so everyone can vent!

I was a collaborator within the core group that is sending the letter to John and Elizabeth, and you know, it left me
drained...I wanted to ad my personal note, but did not know if I had anything left to say.  Today, when I got up, I knew
I had to do it today, the last day for comments, before the letter is sent and the words just came.

I think our fight for what is right is the same way.  Just when you think you have nothing left to give, you realize that
the alternative is to do nothing and our children and all the children to come deserve more than what we have now.
As John said, "we owe it to our children and our grandchildren to leave them a country that is better than when we
had it"!  So, we may get weary and at times we may despair, but we can never give up the fight!  The beauty of it is
that we have all bonded together so that we do not fight alone and as our group grows, there is strength in numbers
and it will be the voice of many that will prevail.  Each generation before us has had a hand in what we are today
and when you look back there have been great wars, hard times, a very simple beginning where people began by
just struggling to survive and traveled across this country on foot, horse, and wagons and lived very short life spans,
to today where we have wonderful medicines and automobiles, planes and flight into space.  Each generation had
it's own political travesties and hurdles, but they overcame them with one simple goal:  To keep moving forward and
that is the only true choice we have.  We can give up and life will pass us by or we can be a part of it and have a
say in how it goes; we can be angry and do nothing, or put our rage into action and do something, even if it only gains
us a small step.  Sometimes I despair and feel overwhelmed and then I think of the letters I've written, the arguments
which I present on issues and though there are many more that get lost than won, some have been won!  We all have
our limitations and we have to know when to step back and regroup, but we all must know, we must keep up the fight!

It is interesting that you mentioned "Jack and Jackie".  In my letter to go to John and Elizabeth, I mentioned JFK.  For
those of us who lived through that time, it was also a devastation of all hope and I had not dared to hope again until
I heard John speak.  My daughter just bought me a book on all of Jackie's designer clothing, written by Caroline in 2001. 
The thing about Jackie is that she had such a sense of history...everything she did, as the book brings out, was with
history in mind.  She had such grace, class,  great care for people.  There was renovation going on a building
she refused to let them tear down, saying that "everyone thinks the 18th century must be preserved, but one day the
19th century will be just as important, and it must be refurbished by craftsmen from Virginia, the men there are out of
work, and they need the work."  I can only laugh at the media....there will never be another Jackie!
Report Spam   Logged
Lataet
Lataet
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2008, 11:44:49 am »

Just FYI everyone - It was Sandie who really pulled that letter together to John and Elizabeth and gave life to it.

So many thanks to Sandie!
Report Spam   Logged

"Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there!"  Will Rogers
destiny

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2008, 06:11:40 pm »

Big Hugs to you Javier!  Kiss
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Help us keep this blog going and growing.
If you can, even a small donation will help.
Just click the donation button
Thank you
Official PayPal Seal
Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum