The John Edwards Movement Continues!!
Hot Political Issues and Government Topics
March 29, 2024, 08:18:41 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: How can you help improve the world and unite America?
Read some of what's happening in the actions area.  See how our soldiers need our help in the Iraq section, Find out how to help children with disabilities, and more.  Take action American and help!

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Question: Listing Email Addressess And Phone Numbers In A Post

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Question: Listing Email Addressess And Phone Numbers In A Post  (Read 399 times)
Marline

« on: October 10, 2008, 08:43:08 am »

I know that we are not to include private information in a post because I was called on it long ago and before a rule was implemented when I posted a phone number and email address in a post of mine in which I was asked to do. My question is now as follows:

I have come across some articles which I post here that have a web address in them or a phone number in them for instance in regards to reporting voter fraud. I copy and paste the article but I have been leaving out the phone number and web address and what I do is list the link so they can retrieve that information if they want it. Can I copy a article and include the phone number or web address in the article as it is public information that has already been made available to the public?
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

PatriciaW
COREGROUP

« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2008, 10:48:09 pm »

I know that we are not to include private information in a post because I was called on it long ago and before a rule was implemented when I posted a phone number and email address in a post of mine in which I was asked to do. My question is now as follows:

I have come across some articles which I post here that have a web address in them or a phone number in them for instance in regards to reporting voter fraud. I copy and paste the article but I have been leaving out the phone number and web address and what I do is list the link so they can retrieve that information if they want it. Can I copy a article and include the phone number or web address in the article as it is public information that has already been made available to the public?

If the contact information is from a press release you can trace back to its origin it is probably OK. Not necessarily if it is from another blog. MSM articles (from companies that have lawyers to figure out these things) would be OK.

There is a lot of misunderstanding and misuse of private information and violations of copyright by bloggers and other Web folks. Not to mention that people may post things they never should have.

Re. copying and pasting articles, copyright law in the US only allows short excerpts. Entire articles should not be copied and pasted, just a "teaser" of the content or a summary and then a link to the actual article.

Hope this helps.
Report Spam   Logged
Marline

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2008, 10:04:50 am »

Thank you, just to double check ..... I think you can copy the whole article if you have included the copyright of the article it's self right?

Private information I know we can't do that like my email or phone number or anyone else for that matter unless in an article for public information to begin with correct?
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Help us keep this blog going and growing.
If you can, even a small donation will help.
Just click the donation button
Thank you
Official PayPal Seal
Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum