The John Edwards Movement Continues!!
Hot Political Issues and Government Topics
April 18, 2024, 12:00:50 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: How can you help improve the world and unite America?
Read some of what's happening in the actions area.  See how our soldiers need our help in the Iraq section, Find out how to help children with disabilities, and more.  Take action American and help!

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Why You Should Not Shop at Wal-Mart

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why You Should Not Shop at Wal-Mart  (Read 1120 times)
IBEW

« on: March 05, 2008, 02:42:24 pm »

Reasons Not to Shop at Wal-Mart By An Actual Former Employee.
by Nirvana27, Feb 25, 2008

It was a job, a meager little job. You don't stand much of a chance to going anywhere within the company unless you have connections or hired in as management, and like you've heard before, Wal-Mart's low low prices come at a high cost in many other respects.
http://www.bizcovering.com/Major-Companies/Reasons-Not-to-Shop-at-Wal-Mart-By-An-Actual-Former-Employee.87283

Ten Reasons Why You Should Not Shop at Wal-Mart
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/58152/ten_reasons_why_you_should_not_shop.html

Support Labor Unions and Buy American...Ask for Made In America When Shopping..
Report Spam   Logged

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment"

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Noracharles1995

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 11:14:17 am »

Reasons Not to Shop at Wal-Mart By An Actual Former Employee.
by Nirvana27, Feb 25, 2008

It was a job, a meager little job. You don't stand much of a chance to going anywhere within the company unless you have connections or hired in as management, and like you've heard before, Wal-Mart's low low prices come at a high cost in many other respects.
http://www.bizcovering.com/Major-Companies/Reasons-Not-to-Shop-at-Wal-Mart-By-An-Actual-Former-Employee.87283

Ten Reasons Why You Should Not Shop at Wal-Mart
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/58152/ten_reasons_why_you_should_not_shop.html

Support Labor Unions and Buy American...Ask for Made In America When Shopping..

IBEW - Thanks for the links - I HATE that place and don't buy from there both because of aesthetics and politics. Hubby buys some things there that he says - rightly - aren't at Kmart or Target and he had a group of friends who would trash WalMart's business and political practices but when he needed to stop by there and they reluctantly went along, these same friends would buy tons of stuff because it was so cheap. We had a "heated conversation" about this and I said I'm not his old friends, I put my money where my mouth is and I'd like him to find alternate sources for what he buys at WalMart so he can quit shopping there completely.  Right now, I refuse to go with him and hopefully he'll stop going altogether soon.

I think alot of people like my husband have the same point of view as the author of article 2 above, they liked WalMart once and still go out of habit, but are slowly seeing it really sucks now, and isn't what it used to be or seemed to be. The stores have become crowded, filthy and sales help is hard to find. When it is, it's often hard to communicate with the salesperson.  That's in additon to their crappy business and political practices.   

I'm going to share this article with my hubby and fellow union members.

Thanks again!

Report Spam   Logged
Jazziette
TempBan

Gloves are off now!

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 11:23:53 am »

IBEW......I completely and totally agree.  I will not support Un-American Retailers.  EOS

~ Jazz
Report Spam   Logged

"And in the end.....the love we take is equal to.....the love we make."
                           ~ Lennon & McCartney
Brian4JohnEliz

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2008, 04:31:17 pm »

Wal Mart is the most anti union company in the world I'm a Steelworker and I will never vote for HILLARY CLINTON because she was on the board of Wall Fart for six years building her political machine.What did she do for those poor people that Wall fart screw everyday so they can boost profits just like John Edwards wanted to fight.She don't want people to know that she was in bed with Sam Walton the man that hated Unions and Hillary helped keep the company Union free
One more thing Hillary did not remove her senior strategist Mark the Union Buster Penn from her campaign when ask by Jim Hoffa Jr. Google both complaints about Hill and see what I mean. A pro union Pres. right people better wake up! If the phone rings at 3:00 am I want to answer the phone myself not Hillary!
B Ford
USW Local 00639
Report Spam   Logged
Wolfgirl

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2008, 04:46:13 pm »

Lets not forget Obama's stand with Walmart and unions either.

Obama's wife has received nearly a quarter of a million dollars through Treehouse, which is connected to Wal-Mart.
The CEO of Treehouse last year, made more than the CEO of Wal-Mart, according to public records.

NORTH AMERICAN FREE TRADE AGREEMENT:

Regarding the North American Free Trade Agreement, Obama recently boasted, “I don’t think NAFTA has been good for Americans, and I never have.” Yet, Calvin Woodward reviewed Obama’s record on NAFTA in a February 26, 2008 Associated Press article and found that comment to be misleading: “In his 2004 Senate campaign, Obama said the US should pursue more deals such as NAFTA, and argued more broadly that his opponent's call for tariffs would spark a trade war. AP reported then that the Illinois senator had spoken of enormous benefits having accrued to his state from NAFTA, while adding that he also called for more aggressive trade protections for US workers.”

Putting aside campaign rhetoric, when actually given an opportunity to protect workers from unfair trade agreements, Obama cast the deciding vote against an amendment to a September 2005 Commerce Appropriations Bill, proposed by North Dakota Senator Byron Dorgan, that would have prohibited US trade negotiators from weakening US laws that provide safeguards from unfair foreign trade practices. The bill would have been a vital tool to combat the outsourcing of jobs to foreign workers and would have ended a common corporate practice known as “pole-vaulting” over regulations, which allows companies doing foreign business to avoid “right to organize,” “minimum wage,” and other worker protections.
Report Spam   Logged

Cool HELP HIM HELP US, WE THE PEOPLE Cool RALPH NADER IS A CONSTITUTIONIST & A CONSUMER ADVOCATE Cool PASS THE WORD & VOTENADER.ORG Cool
PatriciaW
COREGROUP

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2008, 04:54:32 pm »

Watch Wal-Mart: The High Cost of Low Price from Brave New Films. Just the part about how unsafe their parking lots are may be enough to change some peoples minds about going there.

Two links w/ videos, articles and lots of resources:

http://www.walmartmovie.com/

http://walmart.bravenewfilms.org/
Report Spam   Logged
Brian4JohnEliz

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2008, 06:05:32 pm »

Im not a Obama supporter either and I sure won't vote for Hillary. Edwards called her a corporate democrat and I think he got it right  I will not vote for anyone except Edwards if there is a 1/2 inch space to write on the Ohio ballot Edwards will get my vote and by the way Hillary has more NAFTA blood on her hands than Obama and McCain is Gw 2 this country needs another tea party give this country back to us hard working middle class.
Listen to Rachel Madow now on MSNBC talking about Union buster Mark Penn and Hillary now glad we have smart people in the media that has common sense to go along with her intelligence sorry had a hard day in the steel mill.
Report Spam   Logged
Wolfgirl

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2008, 06:07:43 pm »

Hey, I'll be writing JRE in on my ballot too, so I feel your pain!!  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Cool HELP HIM HELP US, WE THE PEOPLE Cool RALPH NADER IS A CONSTITUTIONIST & A CONSUMER ADVOCATE Cool PASS THE WORD & VOTENADER.ORG Cool
B4JRE

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2008, 11:11:44 pm »

Thanks, IBEW.  This is a very important topic.  I hope ALL here boycott Walmart.  I only stepped foot in once when visiting a sister who had to pick some stuff up and I decided not to make a family fight of it.

Noracharles--I hope you can get hubby to stop shopping there.  Immediate monetary cost "savings" may be attractive but the costs are seen elsewhere, as I'm sure I don't need to explain. 

One of the ways Walfart does this is by buying so much from a company that that company becomes enslaved to them and then are victims of any of Walfart's whim.  Walfart put Rubbermaid out of business....they became the main buyer of their goods, decided they wanted to sell Rubbermaid items for even less and so demanded that Rubbermaid sell them their stuff at such a low price that Rubbermaid went out of business.  They had their back to a wall (hah!) because they could not say no to Walfart with Walfart being their main buyers!  ...just ONE way Walfart is destroying America.
Report Spam   Logged
Noracharles1995

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2008, 09:30:35 am »

Thanks, IBEW.  This is a very important topic.  I hope ALL here boycott Walmart.  I only stepped foot in once when visiting a sister who had to pick some stuff up and I decided not to make a family fight of it.

Noracharles--I hope you can get hubby to stop shopping there.  Immediate monetary cost "savings" may be attractive but the costs are seen elsewhere, as I'm sure I don't need to explain. 

One of the ways Walfart does this is by buying so much from a company that that company becomes enslaved to them and then are victims of any of Walfart's whim.  Walfart put Rubbermaid out of business....they became the main buyer of their goods, decided they wanted to sell Rubbermaid items for even less and so demanded that Rubbermaid sell them their stuff at such a low price that Rubbermaid went out of business.  They had their back to a wall (hah!) because they could not say no to Walfart with Walfart being their main buyers!  ...just ONE way Walfart is destroying America.

Well, I first posted in the thread about a month ago and I think it was 6 weeks ago he was last in a WalFart so I think the argument is sinking in.  Our discussion of this got the most heated when he talked about his Nader-ite friends bashing WalFart but then agreeing to go in there with him THEN buying lots of stuff because it was so cheap.  He didn't really disagree with my thinking the business policies of WalMart were awful. I jumped on this and said his real problem was with his friends being hypocrites, NOT with boycots of WalFart generally. What's more I told him I put my $$$ where my mouth is. I'm a union activist and I won't even set foot in there anymore much less buy things - it seems wrong to when I stand up for working people.

It really sucks how both the Dem candidates left have such deep ties to this place  Sad I will have to vote with a clothespin on my nose, forget holding it, I'll be so miserable I'll need a clothespin. 

Maybe BHO or HRC will be so far ahead in Virginia I could write in JRE but I doubt it. So I'll have to find a clothespin and wear it to the polls.  And consider my vote one against McCain.  I hate the Dem's ties to WalMart but the country is so incredibly FUBAR in the wake of Bush I have to forget about my problems with this and think about who will get us out of Iraq first because to me that's even more pressing than this, bad as this issue is.

Angry It's all about the lesser of evils this year and it sucks, big time.
Report Spam   Logged
destiny

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2008, 09:42:24 am »

also check out wakeupwalmart.com
Report Spam   Logged
B4JRE

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2008, 07:54:37 pm »

Noracharles--Let's start a campaign/movement:  Special clothespins, with Edwards logo visible on the sides, and literally wear them going to the polling station!  Okay, I'm (mostly) joking cuz that's a lot of energy for a little thing but I sure think it would be funny to have a lot of people with clothespins on their noses going into the booths!
Report Spam   Logged
bucklaw

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2008, 06:17:29 pm »

DEMOCRATS SHOP AT WAL~MART TOO.

Wal-Mart Caught on Tape Lying to Employees

Posted by Kathy G, The G-Spot at 9:12 AM on August 14, 2008.

Employees at Wal-Mart are fighting back against their union busting bosses, and now they have proof.

Today's Wall Street Journal reports that Wal-Mart was recently caught redhanded: they blatantly lied to employees about labor law and the Employee Free Choice Act (or "card check"). A video the Journal got a hold of shows the following:

In the hour-and-a-half meeting, held for managers in a Southern state, the leader tells employees that their wages may be reduced to minimum wage for up to three months before a contract is negotiated, that union authorization cards violate workers' right to privacy by including their Social Security numbers on them and that if a small unit within a store votes to unionize, the entire store will be unionized.

"If you have 10 associates in a photo lab and six sign union authorization cars, now the store is unionized," the meeting leader told employees. "Six people can make a decision for 350 people," which is about the average number of workers in a Walmart supercenter.

But actually, none of those things are true.

Reducing wages during contract negotiations is illegal, card check can't legally require that employees provide their Social Security numbers (and won't in the future either, even if the law is changed), and organizing one unit in a store won't make the entire store unionized. Labor experts say that those three statements the Wal-Mart official made during the meeting were untrue, and that, in fact, Wal-Mart may have been breaking the law by spreading false information.

It's unclear whether Wal-Mart will face any legal consequences for the lies they told. But the Journal article notes that action has been taken on another front: labor groups have filed a complaint against Wal-Mart with the Federal Elections Commission. They're asking the commission to investigate whether the meetings Wal-Mart organized around the country warning thousands of employees about the consequences of electing a Democratic president violated the law (you can find the complaint here).

Will the F.E.C. take action? It seems like there's a decent shot they might:

Legal experts said election-law complaints against employers are rare but that the complaint against Wal-Mart merits consideration. "I think it's going to be a case that the FEC is going to have to take seriously," said Joseph M. Birkenstock, a Washington attorney specializing in election law. The key to the case will be "exactly what was said" at meetings, he said.

Wal-Mart is clearly feeling the heat. They're known for playing hardball, but it seems like lately, they've been more reckless than usual. I think it's because they are very, very nervous about the prospects of a Democratic takeover, and about the potential impact of the Employee Free Choice Act on the Wal-Mart empire. All of which means we're probably making more headway on these issues than I thought.

Report Spam   Logged
destiny

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2008, 06:39:35 pm »

JUST SAY NO! TO WALMART!  Angry

I miss IBEW too!  Cry
Report Spam   Logged
IBEW

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2008, 09:12:23 pm »

JUST SAY NO! TO WALMART!  Angry

I miss IBEW too!  Cry

Did you have a good Christmas destiny?

Wal-Mart recently launched a multi million-dollar advertising campaign to silence its critics and hide the truth about the company.  The following are the REAL facts about Wal-Mart. http://wakeupwalmart.com/facts/

Report Spam   Logged

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment"

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Help us keep this blog going and growing.
If you can, even a small donation will help.
Just click the donation button
Thank you
Official PayPal Seal
Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum