The John Edwards Movement Continues!!
Hot Political Issues and Government Topics
April 18, 2024, 07:48:08 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: How can you help improve the world and unite America?
Read some of what's happening in the actions area.  See how our soldiers need our help in the Iraq section, Find out how to help children with disabilities, and more.  Take action American and help!

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Why You Should Not Shop at Wal-Mart

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why You Should Not Shop at Wal-Mart  (Read 1121 times)
destiny

« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2008, 07:47:36 am »

Yes it was a wonderful christmas thank you! We are believers in my house!

Just fyi to everyone on that link too, you can sign up and get email alerts too!
Report Spam   Logged
IBEW

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2009, 12:33:25 pm »

It’s been a busy year at Wal-Mart Watch. We launched two great new websites – waltoninfluence.com and walmartspeakout.com. After Wal-Mart announced its new logo, we held a contest to design one of our own – and picked a great winner.

We helped exposed Wal-Mart’s efforts to prevent its employees from voting for Barack Obama. We continued to work with local citizen groups who fought – and won – against Wal-Mart in record numbers this year. At the end of the year, we were there to remind the world that if Wal-Mart workers would have had union representation, Jdimytai Damour would have probably never lost his life – and Wal-Mart would have never had to settle 63 wage & hour lawsuits, because its millions of workers would have never had to hire lawyers and wait years to receive their paychecks.

And of course, we stoked the public outrage over Wal-Mart’s shameful treatment of former employee Debbie Shank. Thanks to the support of readers like you, Wal-Mart reversed its decision on Debbie’s case and changed its subrogation policy to prevent itself from ever putting a family through the same agony it put the Shanks.

Below are some of the biggest Wal-Mart stories of the year. Enjoy – and have a happy new year from Wal-Mart Watch.
http://walmartwatch.com/blog/archives/2008_year_in_review_happy_holidays_from_wal_mart_watch1/
Report Spam   Logged

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment"
westlib

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2009, 03:32:39 pm »

When I look at this thread, I too am so happy IBEW is posting here again. When I see the comments from Jazziette and Wolfgirl, I realize how much I miss them, too. Does noracharles still post here?

I have never shopped at Wal-Mart, and when my husband went in to get a wrench - my daughter was upset with him for days.

I am trying to get as much as I can through our local organic coop this year. Fortunately, I am not the only one, as their membership is growing quickly.
Report Spam   Logged
IBEW

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2009, 02:22:06 pm »

When I look at this thread, I too am so happy IBEW is posting here again. When I see the comments from Jazziette and Wolfgirl, I realize how much I miss them, too. Does noracharles still post here?

I have never shopped at Wal-Mart, and when my husband went in to get a wrench - my daughter was upset with him for days.

I am trying to get as much as I can through our local organic coop this year. Fortunately, I am not the only one, as their membership is growing quickly.

It is getting harder and harder for folks not to stop in a Wal-Mart these days westlib. This past fall our Locally Owned Family, Union grocery store of 35 years closed it doors. Thanks impart to Wal-Mart that built a store here about 10 years ago along l-70. Our community of 5,000 or so is about 30 miles east of Kansas City.

My main issues with Wal-Mat is low wages and benefits. They buy their merchandize from over seas instead of supporting the U.S. economy. They put Locally Owned Mom & Pop stores out of business and turn small towns into empty store fronts.

TAX REVENUES:
I set on the Fire Board here an elected position. I live in the county and not in the City limits. As elected officials we have to look at tax revenues that's what creates the money for community services.

Small town America sees these revenues as a boost for their community or at least is sold that ideal by Wal-Mart, the local Banker, Real Estate Broker and Non-Union Contractors. Who all have control of your local government.

For this is another reason the average working American needs to get more involved in their local politics. Pay to Play starts at the local level and grooms our State and National leaders. If nothing else make the time to go to you County, City Council, School Board, Fire Board....etc. meetings. Better yet run for an office or help someone that feels the same as you do to get elected.

By the way the citizens of our community gave us, the Fire Board the green light to build a new Fire Station in the past Nov. election. We have bought the land and the ground work has already been laid out for a fair bid process by QULIFIFIED CONTRACTORS.
Report Spam   Logged

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment"
IBEW

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2009, 07:33:39 pm »

Invasion USA

Illegal Immigration News in the US
by Chuck Norris
Tuesday, January 06, 2009
Townhall.com
http://www.alipac.us/article3873.html
http://www.alipac.us/article-topic-4.html

The USA is being infiltrated by illegals, sold to foreign powers, and abandoned by its government. But are Americans enabling the dissolution of our economy and country, as well, by continuing to buy foreign goods?

America literally is being sold out from underneath Americans. According to the 2008 Economic Report of the President: "The United States is both the single leading recipient and leading source of foreign direct investment in the world. In 2006, total cumulative FDI in the United States was almost $1.8 trillion, 15 percent of the world total." In 2006, foreign-owned assets in the U.S. totaled roughly $16 trillion.

And where does all that foreign investment go?

Topics: Globalism, illegal immigration, Trade, Americans, lost jobs, foreign powers, decline and fall, Chuck Norris

As Paul Craig Roberts, who once was the assistant secretary of treasury under President Ronald Reagan and associate editor of The Wall Street Journal, wrote seven years ago: "Very little of the foreign money flowing into the United States is for the purpose of building Toyota and BMW plants. Eighty percent to 85 percent of direct investment by foreigners in the U.S. economy goes into mergers and acquisitions. In 2000, 97 percent of direct investment by foreigners went for the purchase of existing U.S. assets." And those assets include U.S. government securities and liabilities, including our national debt, which is mounting into the teens of trillions.

We all know China serves as an example of this vicious cycle. American companies, from agribusinesses to Wal-Mart, have proliferated markets with so many "Made in China" labels that our nation has one big tag dangling from the toe of Florida -- "Sold to China." And do the Chinese mind their material and monetary dominance over America? Of course not. In turn, they take the money that we pay them for their goods and invest (lend) it back to us via our government as one of the groups of "foreign investors" in our national debt. And why? Lately, the reason has been so Congress can bail out more American industries and deepen our bondage (and ownership) to countries such as China.

In the same 2002 column, Roberts eerily predicted: "The United States is on its way to becoming a country whose corporations are foreign-owned and foreign-based. The United States will decline as a consumer market, as there will be no high-productivity jobs to support consumer demand. The United States is importing a new population that will help it on its way to Third World-ism. Every year, millions of poor and uneducated immigrants, both legal and illegal, pour into the United States from alien lands. … Today, 20 percent of the U.S. population is foreign-born or children of foreign born. This massive influx drives up the demand for income-support programs, while driving down the taxable wages in retail- and service-sector jobs, where Americans are forced to seek employment as higher-paying automotive, electronic, textile and manufacturing jobs leave the country. The United States is still a superpower, but it is a country with very little, if any, control over its future and its destiny, a country whose time is running out."

It's time to realize that we're all together in this boat called America, that the boat is sinking, and that government is not our salvation. Our hope is not in Congress or even a political-messianic deliverance through the presidency. The only economic stimulus plan they should be preparing is the one that rewards manufacturers and consumers who promote and purchase American-made products and services. Our government doesn't need to dole out more bailouts and drown us deeper in debt. We don't need more bad trade agreements, such as NAFTA, or to provide tax relief incentives for corporations that are outsourcing. We need fair trade, not free trade. And we need a fair tax, not a flowering system of taxes.

Let's be honest. Justifications abound for purchasing foreign goods, and many of them make perfect sense. Reasons range from price to quality, but, as we have with gas prices, maybe we will continue to enable foreign dominance in commerce and beyond by paying the prices and not coming up with alternatives. We say we can't afford to buy American, but maybe it's time to say we can't afford not to. By supporting our homeland, we not only are investing in America and boosting the economy but also are helping to reverse staggering unemployment rates and keeping companies from going under. We all can do our part to bail the water out of our sinking ship by buying American goods and services.

But be careful with labels, as there's an obvious difference between "Made in USA" and "Assembled in USA." And some labels lie, so do your homework. Take some time to understand what it means for a business to comply with the "Made in USA" standards. And check reputable consumer Web sites, such as MadeInUSAForever.com and StillMadeInUSA.com, to search for domestically manufactured goods and services.

The good news is that, according to a Gallup Poll, 72 percent of Americans today are more concerned with the geographical origins of products they purchase, and 50 percent even are willing to pay more for American-made products. For many, "Made in USA" labels represent an increased concern for work and environmental conditions, quality and consumer safety. Buying American is also a way to rekindle patriotism.

If you're old enough, you'll remember when "Made in USA" was a badge of honor. Well, I'm proposing a buyers' revolution in which we all economically win that medal of valor. If the government isn't going to help us by securing our borders, reducing outsourcing, or ceasing debt caused by bogus bailouts and out-of-control spending, then we the people have got to take back the financial future of our country. The buck stops here -- in America. One resolution we all should make in 2009: Buy "Made in USA." Don't just go green; spend green -- in homemade products and services. If just half the country followed suit, our downturned economy would turn around in half the time.

DISCUSS THIS ARTICLE WITH OUR ONLINE ACTIVISTS AT...
http://www.alipac.us/ftopict-142196.html
Report Spam   Logged

IBEW

« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2009, 09:22:14 pm »

The Employee Free Choice Act: How It Can Help Wal-Mart Workers
http://walmartwatch.com/pages/the_employee_free_choice_act_how_it_can_help_wal_mart_workers

In an ideal world, Wal-Mart would treat its employees fairly and pay them an honest living wage without needing to be pushed. But this isn't an ideal world - and after watching Wal-Mart refuse to change for years, we now know that the Employee Free Choice Act (EFCA) is the game-changer we need to start rebuilding America's middle class and help Wal-Mart workers live better.   

The Employee Free Choice Act is a law that would make it simpler and easier for workers at Wal-Mart, or any other company, to join together and form a union if they so choose.

Under current law, employers have virtually all the power over the employees. In order to form a union half of employees must sign cards - and then wait a month or often much more to have an election, during which time the employer can intimidate employees and threaten termination. As a result, it has been impossible to form a union in Wal-Mart, despite the fact that Wal-Mart workers regularly say they would prefer a union.

The Employee Free Choice Act makes the process much simpler and more streamlined  - and gives choice to the employees. Once the majority of employees sign union cards, then they win the right union representation - it's as simple as that. And despite what Wal-Mart and other business interests are telling the public, employees can still choose a secret ballot election if they prefer.   

While most businesses are struggling through the recession, Wal-Mart and the Walton Family are making billions in profit from low-income shoppers who have no choice but to shop at Wal-Mart and middle and upper class shoppers who have opted to trade down and shop at Wal-Mart while times are tough. Yet Wal-Mart has perpetuated the recession, by refusing to share any of the wealth with its 1.4 million workers.  Even at full-time hours, most Wal-Mart workers aren't paid enough to support a family in America today.

EFCA is the change they need to improve their jobs and their lives.

The Employee Free Choice Act: Wal-Mart’s Last Stand Against Unionization?

Wal-Mart has a long history of opposing unionization. Sam Walton was notorious for trying to keep unions out of his
stores. In fact, Walton hired union-busting lawyer John E. Tate to quash some of the earliest efforts to organize stores in
Missouri. Despite a successful unionization effort in China, Wal-Mart will not budge from its position in the United States
and Canada. However, with the election of Barack Obama and the potential passage of the Employee Free Choice Act,
Wal-Mart is clearly afraid that its anti-worker practices of the last half century might be coming to a close. Wal-Mart says
its associates do not need a union. Wal-Mart Watch, however, believes that after years of low wages, expensive health
care benefits, and poor working conditions, Wal-Mart workers can finally see a light at the end of the tunnel.
WAL-MART’S
Report Spam   Logged

IBEW

« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2009, 09:37:19 pm »

Kroger CEO wants "balance" in labor talks
AP ONLINE
Posted: 2009-06-25 14:26:00
CINCINNATI (AP) — Kroger Co.'s chief executive says both sides must find a balance as the grocery store chain faces tough union negotiations.

CEO David B. Dillon said after Thursday's shareholders meeting that the recession has added to such problem issues as health care costs and pension funding. He expressed optimism, but said both sides need to work out the desire for better pay and benefits with how to pay for them.

Workers in the Denver area last week rejected a new contract offer, and employees in Arizona; Dayton, Ohio; and Portland, Ore., are under contract extensions.

Kroger officials say they need to keep labor costs in line against nonunion competition from retail giant Wal-Mart Stores Inc. and others. Union officials say Kroger is prospering, and that employees should share the rewards.

http://money.aol.com/news/articles/qp/ap/_a/kroger-ceo-wants-balance-in-labor-talks/rfid226411911?channel=pf

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Help us keep this blog going and growing.
If you can, even a small donation will help.
Just click the donation button
Thank you
Official PayPal Seal
Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum