The John Edwards Movement Continues!!
Hot Political Issues and Government Topics
March 29, 2024, 04:37:38 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Contact your representative and tell them we need to opt out of buying foreign oil.   To send a message to them.  We need to use the petroleum reserve like Clinton did and the prices will drop.  We're the biggest market in the world - if we stop buying that will send a message.  So, help make that happen - unless you all love paying others to get rich beyond reason..including Iraq who is making a 70 billion profit from us and our men and women are hurt and dying.  So stand up folks and take action on this one.

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Got Him.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Got Him.  (Read 83 times)
et

« on: May 02, 2011, 08:44:07 pm »

There has been much attention paid to the killing of Osama bin Laden today.  Our President called it a fine day for America. People went to the site of the World Trade Center and behaved like it was New Year's Day.  Many people said the families of the victims of 9-11 would find closure, or some sense of it. All of the former Presidents who had contact with bin Laden had something to say.  Sober "counter-terrorist" pundits cautioned it wouldn't change a thing about the "war on terror" and for a variety of reasons not least of which is the fact bin Laden had been little more than a figurehead for recruiting for almost eight years. 

I was at a Boy Scout meeting tonight. The adult leaders who monitor these meetings were not spending much time talking about the day's events, but the topic came up.  One man declared he wasn't concerned about whether bin Laden was killed or not, but that is was more a matter of how---he felt strongly that it made a big difference whether bin Laden was actually looking into the eyes of his killer (or down the barrel of gun at close range) rather than some drone attack being conducted out of a base in Langley or Ft. Bragg. 

The idea of revenge is most clearly on display today.  Some thoughtful people have tried to point out that "justice" is not what we have today, but they are being shouted-down. 

I have been thinking about the news and I cannot say I feel like this is something to celebrate. Or talk endlessly about.  I think America has not so much ended Chapter One as it has begun Chapter Two in its struggle with a variety of forces in violent opposition.  We remain in Iraq, in Yemen, in Afghanistan, in Pakistan and we have Libya on the boil.  We seem to think use of force is a solution---to damn near everything.

I don't believe revenge leads to calm or reserve or return to our more peaceful selves.  I don't believe what was done today represents "good", especially when you compare it to the price we have already paid to get to this place.  If we look at who's "mission" got accomplished, I think the weight of the evidence falls to bin Laden, and that was established 8 to 10 years ago.

What happened today may at best "satisfying" in the same way as ending anxiety or suspense is "satisfying".  But "good" it isn't.

We will heap accolades upon the Seal Team and the CIA and a host of security and military professionals.  We will credit Obama for making a "gutsy" call based on circumstantial evidence that proved correct.  And Fox will celebrate the merits of "torture" even when torture brought nothing to the table.  Gumshoe human intelligence and human tradecraft did the heavy lifting here.

What we do next is far more important, far more telling than what we have done today.  Maybe that is why I am in no mood to celebrate. I have a bad feeling about where this is all going.  I hope I am wrong.

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Help us keep this blog going and growing.
If you can, even a small donation will help.
Just click the donation button
Thank you
Official PayPal Seal
Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum