The John Edwards Movement Continues!!
Hot Political Issues and Government Topics
April 19, 2024, 07:19:09 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This site will continue with the purpose of a support system and forum for those that wish to continue with important issues, and change the world a little at a time from a grass roots level.

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

American Vengeance

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: American Vengeance  (Read 109 times)
et

« on: May 14, 2011, 08:30:53 am »

(Comment made on another blog about the death of bin Laden)

I don't sleep any better because bin Laden is dead.  If he died in his sleep my level of comfort would not have changed.  If he died in his sleep, he still would have been revered and memorialized by his avid followers and maybe some of the marginal ones too. For them he was and is legend. 

And I don't sleep any better because he was shot down--"extreme prejudice", murder, assassination---it doesn't matter what it's called.  It was revenge for all intents and purposes. Charles Bronson could have been the leader of Seal Team 6, but of course Chuck Norris is the latter day version.   Or maybe Mr. Bardem in "No Country for Old Men".

He should have been captured and the "free" world should have borne the price of his incarceration and all the inflammatory press that goes with it, and all the risk that crazy terrorists of the "Free Osama" variety would try to avenge with their strategy of "resistance".  Like the Guantanamo situation, America is uncomfortable with long, long incarcerations.  They are troublesome news items that build political resistance over time.  And if the endpoint of the incarceration is an execution, it can only engender a long discussion about capital punishment and victim's rights.  That isn't telegenic. It isn't "cut to the chase" journalism.  It just isn't 'satisfying' except in a dramatic sense.  The fervor that could have been bullet-in-the-head (or syringe in the vein) revenge gives way to a droning conversation about justice and human rights when the incarcerations are long and well-observed.   

I generally agree with what has been said by others about the impact of media. I think my country has always had a hair-trigger mentality and likes it that way. The speed and breadth of our ability to hold-up the media mirror and reflect it as we "live the part" only speeds the process of believing our own press, stroking our vanity, enlarging our mythology for succeeding generations.  Everyone always wants to justify his own personal violence. The more extreme, the more energetic the justification.   

And for those who believed the nightmare would end with bin Laden's death,  I hope they had their moment of relief and revenge. I hope they can rationalize it sufficiently to sleep at night. But my guess is they won't sleep any better just because he's dead.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

et

« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 09:07:50 am »

I ran across this today. It is about how we imprison.  It relates directly to terrorism and "enemies" of the US because it reflects the very same thing we do to ordinary American criminals.  We marinate them in prison.  We harden them.  We make them better criminals.  Of course in the case of Muslims, we intensify their hatred.

I think this is why "military tribunals" are so popular among Conservatives. They make no effort to find justice nor rise above the very qualities they hate in others. 

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/11/us/beyond-guantanamo-bay-a-web-of-federal-prisons.html?_r=1&hp
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Help us keep this blog going and growing.
If you can, even a small donation will help.
Just click the donation button
Thank you
Official PayPal Seal
Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum