The John Edwards Movement Continues!!
Hot Political Issues and Government Topics
April 19, 2024, 08:45:32 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: DONT BUY GAS ON FRIDAYS!!!

This messes with the oil companies bottom line.  This tactic worked before - it can work again.  DONT BUY GAS ANY Friday.  They calculate their profits fridays.  If enough of the US doesn't buy gas on this friday alone, it will send them a message.  PASS THE WORD!

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Palestine and the UN

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Palestine and the UN  (Read 121 times)
et

« on: September 20, 2011, 08:07:37 pm »

I think after the events all over the Middle-East this summer, you can understand why many Arabic peoples would aim high and put their case in the halls of the UN.  Whether you believe it is a case of real-politik hardball (political cynicism)  or heartfelt inspiration, you can understand why there would be a push now.

And just as easily you can see why America and Israel are all-of-the-sudden on the defensive.  If you are the real-politik cynic, you already know how obviously bad that hurts both the US and Israel in the eyes of the rest of the world.

I think it is time to recognize the only really obvious thread connecting America and Israel. For while there are many things you can blend into the relationship, the only thing I find actually connecting the two is the self-perpetuating belief in "national exceptionalism".  American exceptionalism is what one might called New World Disease.  American has evolved over time from a struggling democracy to ....a powerful struggling democracy.  And out principal struggle is our own demons.  We continually delude ourselves into believing we are the exception to the rule, the light of democracy, the beacon of liberty--all as though it were some kind of constant in our heritage and history.  Mostly I think we have been lucky.  Whether you agree or disagree with that part of the assessment, I think you would be hard put to reconcile our history of slavery, "White Man's Burden" colonialism, and steady erosion in national faith in own vaunted principles especially in the post WW2 era.

And Israel proclaims the "Chosen People" exceptionalism which, at its core, is why I think Americans declare so much support in Israel.  Americans believe in their own exceptionalism and it reinforces a delusional perception of Israel in the minds of so many.   

Flaunting exceptionalism is delusional foreign policy. 

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2011/09/20/124695/obama-to-palestinians-seek-goals.html
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

et

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 09:04:47 pm »

Another :
http://agonist.org/actor_212/20110920/so_was_it_a_bluff
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Help us keep this blog going and growing.
If you can, even a small donation will help.
Just click the donation button
Thank you
Official PayPal Seal
Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum