The John Edwards Movement Continues!!
Hot Political Issues and Government Topics
March 29, 2024, 10:04:57 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Unfortunately due to the need for additional funding to keep the ads away, they will be returning to the site.  We apologize for any inconvenience.  This shouldnt affect performance of the site.  Thank you.

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Burning the Midnight Oil for Progressive Populism

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Burning the Midnight Oil for Progressive Populism  (Read 298 times)
BruceMcF

« on: February 17, 2008, 04:18:56 pm »

This is the "Midnight Thought" section of the Sunday/Monday Burning the Midnight Oil for Breaking the Silicon Cage (permalink). The diary roll, which is really the main point, is best found over at the Midnight Oil itself, since it is updated on an ongoing basis for the most recent Midnight Oil.

Oh, and I am not playing the Daily Kos numbers game anymore, so I am not here begging for tips and recs for my Burning the Midnight Oil series. Rather, what I would be most happy to see y'all doing is dropping by the Midnight Oil and sharing the best stuff going on at this site with the folks who happen to pass by over there.

Midnight Thought

Breaking the Silicon Cage

The thing to remember is that we can organize online, we can pass information online, we can generate information online ... and that information can be text, it can be graphic, it can be audio/video ... but unless we get out into the real live fresh air and get the information out to the people, its all for naught.

We can see this in the dramatically differences in OneCorps chapters during the Edwards campaign. Some always seemed to be working on something ... others were nothing but names in a OneCorp chapter page. And I get the vague impression that the difference was in meeting together live and deciding to do something.

This idea of breaking out of the Silicon Cage is why I was spending so much time trying to sort out the tools to get YouTube Playlists onto Video CD's that can be handed out on the street. Indeed, this is what the very first diary of what evolved into this series, Why Burn the Midnight Oil for Edwards? was focusing on ... not only the why:

When in reality, if we have a chance to support someone who best represents our interests, and we vote for someone else because we think "they can win", we have wasted out vote ... under our current political institutions ...

... just as surely as voting for a third party during the General Election represents a wasted vote ... under our current political institutions.

Because the climate crisis is real. And our current political institutions are not good enough to make the grade in fighting it.
but also the what
Someone, make that ad, that tells your fellow citizens that can win their Independence back. Build a playlist around it. And then do something far more radical than sending the link around ...

... burn the Video and hand is out to your fellow local citizens.

Here's the thing: we can still do that. We can do that for John Boccieri in OH-16, we can do that for Heather Ryan in KY-01, we can do that for Larry Kisell in NC-08 ... we can do it all over the place.

"We", of course, has to include groups on the ground. But "we" is not restricted to the groups on the ground. When a group on the ground puts together a YouTube playlist of the VCD that they will be burning and handing out, "we" also includes people, individually and in groups, from anywhere in the country, burning 10 or 50 VCDs of the playlist and mailing them over to the group in the ground, to leverage the impact of the people on the ground.

As for me, I've got the main How To diary archived at Docudharma, and as time goes on, I'll be adding additional How-To diaries there. Not, mind, at the same pace as I would have been doing if John Edwards had not suspended.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Help us keep this blog going and growing.
If you can, even a small donation will help.
Just click the donation button
Thank you
Official PayPal Seal
Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum