The John Edwards Movement Continues!!
Hot Political Issues and Government Topics
April 19, 2024, 11:52:13 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: DONT BUY GAS ON FRIDAYS!!!

This messes with the oil companies bottom line.  This tactic worked before - it can work again.  DONT BUY GAS ANY Friday.  They calculate their profits fridays.  If enough of the US doesn't buy gas on this friday alone, it will send them a message.  PASS THE WORD!

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Resources Deaf Children

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Resources Deaf Children  (Read 919 times)
destiny

« on: March 27, 2008, 12:40:52 pm »

for information and resources on dealing with Deaf Children

http://www.deafchildren.org/

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

omannot
TempBan

« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 05:19:18 pm »

Destiny, I do have one talent that will work if you ever need it for an event here or anything.  I can sign with both hands.  It makes the children laugh.
Report Spam   Logged
destiny

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2008, 06:06:59 am »

http://www.kidsdomain.com/kids/links/Sign_Language.html

some sign language for children, there is even a link to an online sign dictionary.
Report Spam   Logged
destiny

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2008, 06:08:59 am »

very cool site with basic sign for kids

http://library.thinkquest.org/5875/
Report Spam   Logged
destiny

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2008, 06:28:02 am »

This site has alot of great video programs and books for teaching kids sign.

http://www.harriscomm.com/catalog/default.php?cPath=1188_1189&sort=2a&&page=1

Baby einstein also has a series on sign and there is a really cute show on PBS, will have to get the name from the kids and post later. 

I can't find alot of the stuff I bought for my daughter when she was smaller, but there are some really cool videos out there for small deaf children.  There is a deaf woman named Linda Bove who used to be on sesame street.  She made "sign me a story" which is Little red riding hood and Goldilocks done in sign with voice over.  The series Land Before Time has videos of Ms. Bove signing in a circle in the corner of the screen, these are cool because the little ones can't read yet so closed captioning doesn't work for them. 

Today I am going with my children to a local theater, every year the local Lions Club hosts this event for children with disabilities, all types of disabilities.  They have sign interpreters for these performances.   We have seen, School House Rock, Aladdin, Charlottes Web, Pinnochio, and today we are going to see the WIZARD OF OZ.  Its called "someone special day" the shriner clowns come too and they have a luncheon afterwards.  Its very cool. 
Report Spam   Logged
destiny

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2008, 06:32:31 am »

And one more thing, BIG SHOUT OUT to Marlee Matlin, if you have not caught her performances on dancing with the stars you really should.  She is an amazing woman and a wonderful role model.  Her performances brought me to tears!
Report Spam   Logged
LeeM
COREGROUP

Support Our Troops & Bring Them Home!

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2008, 07:48:20 am »

Thanks, Destiny!  I realized my error last night -- on needing my questions re: resources to be over here; I started to delete it and move it over here but there was already another comment from Lataet so I left it.  Thanks for responding here.

I was going to mention Marlee too because my daughter & I have been impressed with her & what an inspiration she is for people.  She has done better than I ever could have done.  Plus, she's such a perfectionist and she doesn't cut herself any slack; I admire that in anyone.  Smiley  (The children who have been appearing this year in their own mini-competition are impressive too!)

My grandsons love The Land Before Time series.  All of them are into all things dinosaurs; the baby sleeps with a stuffed animal T-Rex.  lol

I'll check out the links.  Thank you for pointing us to some resources!

I hope you & your kids have a fantastic day & enjoy the theater production of The Wizard of Oz!   Wink
Report Spam   Logged

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ~ Albert Einstein
destiny

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2008, 03:46:54 pm »

A little late to the gate on this one, I was having some probs. with the site around this time and must have missed your post.  Wizard of Oz was awesome!  Can you believe I actually have an old 45 of ding dong the witch is dead?  LOL The kids and I play it and march around the house!  I have seen Wizard of Oz twice in different theaters with different production companies now and must say, its fascinating how they can be so creative to keep true to the original.  Instead of a flying monkey, it was a gymnastic monkey! And the guards at the castle did some break dancing! It was a hoot! Kudos to the Lions Club that puts this together for the kids, it has grown from a couple hundred when we started going about six years ago to over 800!  Sad to see so many disabled children, but wonderful to see the families having an enjoyable day where no one is looked at as different, but rather as special!
Report Spam   Logged
Jazziette
TempBan

Gloves are off now!

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2008, 05:21:55 pm »

Destiny, thanks for posting the links here.

Hopefully I will be able to find some information that can help me in my dealings with some young
friends of mine who are hard of hearing.

Wink

The Wizard of Oz was always my favorite!
Report Spam   Logged

"And in the end.....the love we take is equal to.....the love we make."
                           ~ Lennon & McCartney
destiny

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2008, 12:50:26 pm »

This is the song my baby is signing at the talent show tommorow.  We are all waiting aren't we?
Report Spam   Logged
Jazziette
TempBan

Gloves are off now!

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2008, 01:46:23 pm »

That was a very cool video Destiny! Thanks for sharing it with us!

Yes....we are all waiting for Destiny's Child to win!!!!

Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

~ Lennon & McCartney
omannot
TempBan

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2008, 02:05:21 pm »

Awesome Destiny.  I agree about Ms. Matlin.  There is also a childrens book author that wrote a whole bunch of childrens books.  They were all called the "Happy Hollister's go to the yucatan", etc.  She would do the sign language alphabet at the end of her books and that is how I learned.

That said in a piece of serendipity this knowledge of sign language with both hands REALLY HELPED me as I was naturally left handed but made to write with my right.  By using both hands it did help exercise both sides of the brain.  Strange, huh.
Report Spam   Logged
Jazziette
TempBan

Gloves are off now!

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2008, 02:10:35 pm »

Have you guys seen the movie "What the Bleep"?

Awesome!
Report Spam   Logged

~ Lennon & McCartney

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Help us keep this blog going and growing.
If you can, even a small donation will help.
Just click the donation button
Thank you
Official PayPal Seal
Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum