The John Edwards Movement Continues!!
Hot Political Issues and Government Topics
April 20, 2024, 07:37:33 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: How can you help improve the world and unite America?
Read some of what's happening in the actions area.  See how our soldiers need our help in the Iraq section, Find out how to help children with disabilities, and more.  Take action American and help!

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

1st ANNUAL INTERNATIONAL AUTISM DAY TODAY! 4/2/08

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1st ANNUAL INTERNATIONAL AUTISM DAY TODAY! 4/2/08  (Read 623 times)
destiny

« on: April 02, 2008, 06:46:22 am »

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=19441172&BRD=1698&PAG=461&dept_id=21849&rfi=6

The United Nations has designated Today as the first annual Autism Awareness Day!  With the rising numbers of children being diagnosed with autism this is a growing not only national, but international problem.  The schools are scrambling to learn how to deal with these children and the parents are scrambling for answers. 

I am one of the lucky ones as my son has the mildest form, but just imagine what the parents of the children who cannot express themselves or emotions go through every day.  The next time you hug your child or your child hugs you, remember there are those that through a cruel twist of fate may never experience that kind of joy, that wonderful feeling. 

For more information on Autism or  if you are looking to see what you can do to help.  I strongly encourage you to go to autismspeaks.org.  They are really doing alot of good work!
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

LeeM
COREGROUP

Support Our Troops & Bring Them Home!

« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 09:59:48 am »

Destiny, I've been watching and listening to coverage today.  I think it is fantastic that a day is being offered to raise awareness and enlighten the public!  I hope it increases our knowledge and compassion as a country.  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ~ Albert Einstein
Lataet
Lataet
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2008, 11:19:55 pm »

The rise of autism in this country is alarming.  Some have said it's due to the mercury in the shots as the child seems to change after the quantity of shots given to a baby at such an early age overloads their system.  Others have said its all the processed foods and lack of nutrition is catching up to us.

Beyond autism, some research suggests these shots can mess up children's digestive systems for life.   I've looked into this because my daughter has struggled all her life with digestive issues. 

Until there is a clear pattern defined, how do we solve it?

I've seen a couple of levels of autism..some highly functioning, some not.  Those I worked with did blossom from equine therapy.  It builds confidence, they love the animals, they relate to them and  feel a sense of accomplishment, success.  It's positive.  Our horse was trained that if someone began to slip, he'd stop.  Of course it didn't matter - we walked along side and he is a good boy.  My other horse was the big pal..not rideable but taught those that feared to overcome.  He did that to everyone he met.  Sorry off topic!
Report Spam   Logged

"Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there!"  Will Rogers
LeeM
COREGROUP

Support Our Troops & Bring Them Home!

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2008, 11:40:31 pm »

Lataet, how cool that you're involved in animal therapy with the kids!  Animals are such a neat addition into all forms of therapy.  One of my closer friends has a son on the high functioning side of the Autism spectrum.  Their family dog helped a lot with him relating on a closer level and expressing love & affection, and he's quite attached to him now.  (Also have read about the equine therapy for those in the local rehab programs here.  One whole ranch outside of town is now all therapy based.  Also, the abused children I advocate for do well with the therapy dogs in sessions.)
Report Spam   Logged

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ~ Albert Einstein
destiny

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2008, 05:40:08 am »

I have seen stuff on the equine therapy, and its many uses not just for autism but other disabilities as well.  I think its wonderful that you do that Lat. They used a therapy dog in the first program my son was in and the children really responded to him.
Report Spam   Logged
Lataet
Lataet
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2008, 11:23:13 pm »

Yes, our horses worked well with abused children as well.  We can't do as much as we'd like any longer because the insurance is so expensive when working with children with disabilities.  So I try to do what I can always remembering, safety first.  We wanted to have a group of severrely abused teen girls out, but due to insurance, just couldnt. I felt bad but there wasn't much I could do.  It's so sad that these things cost so much.  Now if they were all members of 4-h, that might be different because our insurance costs a few dollars for 4-H members while attending events.   Hmm...this makes me think - I wonder if the children's group would consider the girls becoming members of our 4-h group.  And if the insurance would work during these sessions if we said it was for 4-h, cause then it would be?  Amazing how things can come up when dialoging...even via blog.

Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged

"Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there!"  Will Rogers

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Help us keep this blog going and growing.
If you can, even a small donation will help.
Just click the donation button
Thank you
Official PayPal Seal
Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum